Residents along the Southeast Texas and Louisiana coastlines are keeping a very close eye on Hurricane Laura. The National Hurricane Center’s latest track for Hurricane Laura has it making landfall, possibly as a Category 3 hurricane, sometime late Wednesday into early Thursday. What we don’t know yet is exactly where that landfall will occur. A shift of just 20 or 30 miles to the east or west could make all the difference for us in the Galveston-Houston area. Stay tuned to your local news channel and download one of the many helpful weather apps to track the storm –and warnings– more closely.
As a precaution, the City of Galveston early Tuesday morning issued a mandatory evacuation for all residents on the island. Galveston County also called for a mandatory evacuation of Bolivar Peninsula. Other cities have called for voluntary evacuations.
The skilled nurses at Signature Health Services already have contacted our patients to advise them to stock-up on medications and supplies, food, and water. But we all need to be prepared.
The Red Cross lists the following items as necessary or desirable for your Hurricane Preparation Kit. It’s not too late to gather these items, but you need to act now. If you are homebound, please ask family, a neighbor, or friends to purchase the supplies you need. You should also consider using a grocery delivery service, like Instacart.com.
- Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- Deluxe family first aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents in water-proof casing (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area